FARIDA - R & D Department
Vision: Our Vision is to strive for synergy between technology, systems and human resources to innovate footwear and footwear components.
Mission: Exploring and achieving low cost innovation in footwear manufacturing with primary focus on
1. Low cost innovation via industry and institute/University collaboration
2. Identifying potential human resource from universities and institutions.
3. To enhance industry and university interaction for gaining synergy in innovation.
Profile of the Company:
We are one of the leading leather and leather footwear exporters in India with a turnover of approximately 170 million USD. We manufacture and market high quality men & women footwear and finished leather. We operate through our three main business segments: tanneries, uppers and shoe manufacturing units. Our products are sold under popular brand names in more than 40 countries globally
Our major products are finished leather for the fashion industry, uppers, and men & women formal and casual shoes
Our Major customers are Timberland, Clarks and Marks & Spencers
HOD : Mr.Muthusivam.,HOD- R&D
Address : 151/4, Mount Poonamalee raod,
Chennai – 600089
Phone : 044 43587222
Mobile : 91 98840 81847
E-Mail : email@example.com
Brief Details of Staff Members:
HOD.,R&D/ IT /Processaudit
MVS Footwear Technology
University of Madras
Procedure: For enrolling a project with Farida R & D
1. Perceptive students can approach Farida R & D through their respective university / Institute
2. Students shall fill in the enclosed application form duly approved by the institute/University. Download Project Application
3. Farida R & D will give outline of the footwear industry / factory visit for the students to have some understanding of the industry.
4. Students can present the abstract of the project to Farida R & D.
5. Farida R & D will review the projects abstracts presented by the students and select the project.
6. Students will be provided with the basic resources like computer, work area and accesses to factory for study purpose.
Facilities available for Project Work:
1. SATRA Certified testing lab is available with the following facilities
a. Universal testing machine (Make: INSTRON) for testing tensile strength and bond strength.
b. Water penetrable test in leathers
c. Color peel off test for leathers
d. Spring tester
e. Abrasion tester to test the abrasion of soles
f. Shore – A Hardness tester
g. Weight tester in terms of milligrams
2. PED (Product Engineering department) with the following facilities
a. CAD / CAM
b. Team of experienced designers
c. Team of Qualified Engineers engaged in product commercialization
d. Tool development facility like cutting dies, Jigs, Visual Aid, LCA (Low cost automation)
e. Industrial Engineering experts for productivity improvement
3. IT department with the following facilities
a. Team of qualified programmers and Engineers for system development and maintenance
b. LAB with Internet, LAN, WAN and Wi-Fi connectivity
4. Process Audit and Training with the below skills
a. Qualified professionals working on process standardization
b. Audit of defined process through SLA (Service Level Agreement) and working on continuous process improvement
c. Qualified training team to train staffs and workers on 5S concept, KAIZEN, Flow manufacturing, QC Tools, 3M and process capability
d. EBI (Ethical Business initiative) professional and compliance audit team
5. Quality Management team working on the systems to ensure all the departments comply with the ISO standards
6. Manufacturing Facilities:
a. Full shoe manufacturing facility with a capacity of 20,000 pairs per day
b. Upper manufacturing facility with a capacity of 2000 pairs per day
c. Injection soles manufacturing facility (TPR, PVC) with 8000 pairs per day
d. Leather Sole manufacturing facility with 2000 pairs per day
e. Insole manufacturing facility with 12000 pairs per day
7. Maintenance department managing the following machineries and equipments
a. All mechanical machineries used for manufacturing
b. Generators, Compressors and other electrical appliances
c. A.C and other electronic equipments
Minimum Duration of the Project: 1 Month to 3 Months
Project Review: There will be three project review meetings for each project to review the course of the project.
Project areas of our interest using low cost innovation:
I. Value Engineering and Value Analysis Projects:
1. Improving recyclable material content in footwear Manufacturing.
2. Low cost material alternatives for footwear raw materials.
3. Using compressed coir / Agro waste as footwear sole alternatives.
4. Using Jute as alternatives for footbed.
5. Using best technology practices in tire / rubber industry for footwear sole manufacturing.
6. Using best technology practices in plastic industry for footwear manufacturing.
7. Using best technology practices in textile industry for footwear manufacturing.
8. Cross industry best practices for footwear manufacturing.
9. Development of low cost packing materials alternatives for footwear export.
II. Manufacturing and Quality improvement Projects:
1. Developing LCA (Low Cost Automation) for productivity and quality improvement in footwear manufacturing.
2. Development of visual aids to improve quality in footwear manufacturing.
3. Developing mistake proofing methods (Poke Yoke) in footwear manufacturing.
4. Productivity improvement using time and motion study.
5. Identifying right quality tools / method for footwear manufacturing.
6. Study on labor productivity and improvement methods in footwear manufacturing.
7. VOC (Volatile Organic compound) content reduction in footwear manufacturing.
8. Low cost WIP monitoring system for footwear manufacturing.
9. Design system to promote proactive machine maintenance culture in footwear manufacturing.
10. Study the effectiveness of production planning system in footwear manufacturing and propose improvement strategy.
III. IT and Process related Projects:
1. Study on process improvement, process standardization and skill set requirement for footwear manufacturing.
2. Study on potential to implement open source software in business environment.
3. Application development using open source software. (Linux, My Sql, PHP/Java/Sharp Develop)
4. Study on reducing TCO and increasing ROI in LAN and WAN setup.
5. Study on potential security threat and low cost preventive measures in LAN and WAN setup.
6. Utilization of ERP tools in footwear manufacturing and identify potential areas of improvement.
IV. Product development and Engineering Projects:
1. Low cost innovation in sole mould development.
2. Low cost innovation in last design and development.
3. Value engineering and value analysis in footwear development.
4. Foot comfort improvement.
V. SCM (Supply Chain Management) related Projects:
1. As is status of footwear supply chain management and proposed improvement.
2. Sustainable supply chain management strategy for footwear manufacturing.
3. Study on Chennai footwear market potential.
VI. Management Related Projects:
1. Study to measure “Total Employee Involvement” and propose improvement strategy.
2. Study to measure attrition its cause and controlling methodology.
3. Study on how to motivate assembly line work force.
4. Study as is status of lean manufacturing implementation and propose improvement areas in footwear manufacturing.
5. Study and optimize the responsibility, authority and delegation of the organization.
Farida R&D department is associated with the following universities and institutions
· Central Leather Research Institute,
· Anna University
Terms and Conditions:
1. Farida R&D reserves the rights for selecting the project based on the resource availability in Farida.
2. Farida R&D will not commit on financial support for the project work.
3. Farida R&D reserves the rights to use the study outcome